The purpose of a load balancer is to reduce risk such as unreliability, unpredictability, complexity and inflexibility. The traditional load balancer has been appliance-based, with most of the major players offering this expensive and unwieldy alternative.
In technology, things change at an exponential rate and a traditional load balancing appliance simply cannot change that quickly. Even if it did, there would still be the issue of risk, implementation, configuration and operation.
So, how can risk be reduced? Optimal risk reduction can be achieved when the following criteria are met:
1. Your load balancer allows you to quickly and easily implement software upgrades and feature-rich applications.
2. Your systems can be monitored from a simple, graphical user interface rather than from a wall full of blinking lights and levers.
3. Your load balancer is optimized for web services.
4. Horizontal scaling is allowed so that your growth capacity is not limited, and additional user training isn’t necessary.
5. Your load balancer is able to be loaded onto any hypervisor or hardware, and can run in the cloud.
6. Your load balancer can provide a level of redundancy so that you don’t experience outages.
7. Your load balancer can provide you with thorough, detailed and easy-to-interpret reporting through live dashboards and performance history.
8. Your load balancer can provide you with performance acceleration and firewall security.
9. You are able to implement your load balancer as easily as you download a piece of software.
10. Customizations are plentiful and wizard-based.
Enter the software-only load balancer, part of a total application delivery controller solution. Easy to install, easy to use, flexible, secure and scalable. No more complicated hardware upgrades or the risks that these upgrades entail. Importantly, no more financial black holes, as the software-only generation of load balancers is affordable for companies of any size.
Enter Snapt. Snapt has load balancing built in as part of its bleeding-edge ADC software. It offers all the advantages mentioned above and more – specifically, the best and most responsive customer service in the industry.
Want to try Snapt? Start your 14-day free trial now.